Tuesday 11 March 2014

Pass me the Pastrami Please

One perk in (power)walking with someone is not just keeping fit but keeping updated with just everything happening not only in our own families but in the immediate neighborhood as well. Lately, my dear neighbor U. mentioned that she would be going extra to the city to fetch Pastrami as a birthday gift to her son-in-law. Pastrami, I said, "I've heard that before. Italian?" Neighbor continued her Pastrami-related updating with the scene of Meg Ryan's fake orgasm in this comedy When Harry Met Sally scene in Katz's Delicatessen. Alright, that convinced me to say,"I'll have what she's having", and requested my dear neighbor to bring some slices of Pastrami for me. She not only brought me back some slices of Pastrami but also coleslaw made by her daughter and some pieces of Graubrot (rhy bread) to complete the sandwich and with brief instruction how to prepare Pastrami sandwich. Graubrot or rhy bread to smear with Senf/Mustard More on Pastrami: Wikipedia gives this brief information: Pastrami (Romanian: pastramă, Yiddish: פּאַסטראָמע pastróme) is a popular delicatessen meat usually made from beef, and sometimes from pork, mutton or turkey. The raw meat is brined, partially dried, seasoned with various herbs and spices, then smoked and steamed. If you can't find any meat shop selling Pastrami in your city, roastbeef is another option. Be very careful with the spreading of mustard on the bread unless you want to scream ala Sally in that film while eating your Pastrami sandwich.

No comments: